100k signup bonus for Amex Biz Platinum expires Weds. 8/8/18
For the last two months or so, there has been an offer to get 100,000 points as a signup bonus with the American Express Platinum Business credit card. It requires $25k in spend n your first three months so it’s not for everyone. In addition, *some* people have had luck calling Amex OPEN and asking for the offer for 100,000 points after just $10,000 in spend. Some people have luck with that while others are told that offer is no longer available or not available for them.
The current online offer, though, (Link: Business Credit Cards) is 100,000 points when you spend $25,000 as follows:
Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
Personally, I love Amex Membership Rewards points for a variety of transfer partners (the best being probably Aeroplan and ANA, though there are several good ones). And so the signup bonus alone makes getting the card for at least one membership year quite worthwhile. The bonus is worth at the bare minimum $1,000 – but you should be able to extract a minimum of $2,000 or more via transfers to airline partners.
Other benefits of the card, which has a $450 annual fee, include:
- $200 Airline Fee Credit. (Up to $200 a calendar year in baggage fees and more at one selected airline. Don’t forget to select the airline!)
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. (Some people will use this more than me. I prefer to put flights on my Chase Sapphire Reserve and book my hotels directly (never prepaid) to get hotel status benefits).
- 50% more Membership Rewards® points (1.5 per $) on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more – up to 1 million additional points per year. (This is a nice benefit, but remember that you should also have the American Express Blue Business Plus Card – which earns a flat 2% on all purchases for your first $50,000 in spend annually)
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel. (This 35% bonus is roughly equivalent to using a Chase Sapphire Reserve in the Chase portal where you spend at 1.5 cents a point in value, except in this case it’s rebated back after)
- Access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection (Centurion Lounges)
In short, I really like this card for the signup bonus if you have never had it. Keep in mind that you can only get the bonus once per card per lifetime on American Express products. Whether or not you find enough value in year 2 on is based on the card benefits that you use, and I suggest you use my worksheet to decide that.
The link to apply for Business Credit Cards is here.
New to all of this? My new “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available now.