Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
The welcome bonus mentioned in this post has now expired. You will be directed to the current welcome bonus.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is one of the better cash back cards out there for heavy supermarket spenders, offering the following:
- 6% cash back at US supermarkets for up to $6,000 in annual purchases, then 1X.
- 6% cash back on US streaming services which include Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ShowTime, Pandora, Apple Music, and Amazon Music and Video (*Does not include Amazon Prime)
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations
- 3% cash back on transit. (This does not include cruises, airfare, or other standard “travel” categories.)
- 1% cash back on everything else
- Terms apply.
It also offers a 0% Intro APR for 12 months on new purchases. (Rates and Fees)
Previously, a new applicant was offered $250 in statement credits for $1,000 spent in 3 months.
The new American Express Blue Cash Preferred offer is much, much better:
- $300 statement credit after spending $3,000
- You have 6 months to meet the spend (twice as long)
- Annual fee of $95 waived the first year (Rates and Fees)
So you’ll come out $145 ahead over the previous offer since you save the $95 annual fee in the first year and get $50 more. And you always have the option to downgrade to the no-annual fee Blue Cash Everyday card which earns 3X instead of 6X at US supermarkets if you find you aren’t spending enough to justify.
You can learn how to apply for the card here.
(The above link supports MilesTalk)
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.The following American Express cards are mentioned in this article: Rates and Fees for the Blue Cash Preferred(R) Card from American Express | Rates and Fees for the Blue Cash Everyday ® Card from American Express