Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
American Express has worked hard to provide additional value on its cards since COVID-19 wiped out most travel.
In this article
Amex Platinum adds $30 monthly PayPal Credit (Jan 1 – June 30, 2021)
The American Express Platinum Card, which has a $550 annual fee, was giving customers $20 monthly cell phone and streaming credits in 2020 ($40 total per month).
For the first half of 2021, they will be giving $30 monthly PayPal credits when you use PayPal to check out at a merchant. This will be easier to use than you may think.
What online merchants accept PayPal at checkout?
Here are some examples:
Starbucks (reload your card)
What are the details of the $30 PayPal offer on the Amex Platinum?
- No enrollment is required through American Express. Simply add your Platinum Card to your PayPal account and select your Platinum Card when you checkout with PayPal.
- Eligible Platinum Card Members will begin earning monthly statement credits for eligible PayPal purchases beginning January 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021.
- All transactions must be made in USD at U.S. merchants with a U.S. PayPal account.
- Person to Person payments are not eligible for statement credits. This includes payments made to friends and family or directly to merchants for goods and services via the PayPal app.
$30 PayPal credit also applies to personal Centurion cards
If you have the fabled Black Card, you will get this same promotion on your Card.
Other Platinum credits still apply
The Platinum Card still comes with the following other credits (and, maybe, more to come?)
- $200 annual airline incidental credit
- $100 Saks credit ($50 per half year)
- $200 in annual Uber credits, spread out monthly
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.