Buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with 60% Bonus (0.78 cents each)
Marriott’s 20% off Marriott gift cards promotion has concluded and, with that, their next promotion begins.
60% Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points When You Buy At Least 2,000 Points
When you buy Marriott Bonvoy points now through June 30th, 2020, you’ll get a 60% bonus on all points as long as you buy at least 2,000 points.
Here’s what that looks like:
I value a Marriott Bonvoy point at 0.6 cents each (meaning that is my threshold to start to consider paying with points vs. paying with cash. I tend to do much better myself, though, since I only redeem when prices are high and almost always when I get a 5th night free as you do with all Marriott Bonvoy award stays. So for myself, I tend to get a cent or more a point in value, but that doesn’t mean you will. My valuation is based on “average” redemptions.
Buying points during this sale works out to paying 0.78 cents a point.
Should you buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with a 60% Bonus?
The “no” argument: I actually nearly always say not to buy points or miles. That’s because programs always devalue over time. Remember you will now spend between 70,000 and 100,000 points a night at top tier Bonvoy properties when just 2 years ago, that was capped at 60,000 points. Wait a few years and it’s nearly certain to cost more points for your favorite property.
If you are like me and average a penny or more per point with 5 night stays or have some bookings to make right now, derisking future Bonvoy point devaluations, it could make sense.
For example, if you were going to book a 5 night stay at a top end Maldives property, you would easily spend $1,000 a night or 85,000 – 100,000 points a night. But you’d get the 5th night free on an award plus save the taxes (since there’s no tax on a zero dollar room rate). You still pay seaplane transfers and resort fees, if any. In this scenario, even at the peak rate of 400,000 points for 5 nights, you’d be spending just $3,120 vs. over $6,000 cash (5 nights at $1,000 a night + over $1,000 in tax).
That’s just to give an idea of why it can in some situations be a good deal.
Keep in mind, though that the limit is 100,000 points that you can buy through this, so you’d need to already have some points in your account. A partner could also buy 100,000 points and you can transfer them between accounts. The limit on you transferring to another member is also 100,000 points a year, so watch out there as well.
If you’re clear on all that, here’s the link to buy Marriott Bonvoy points with a 60% bonus.
No Bonus Points for Paying With a Bonvoy Card
If you use a Bonvoy branded credit card, you will NOT earn 6X points. This will code from points.com as a general transaction.
Terms & Conditions
- Transactions must be completed between 9:00 AM ET May 18, 2020 and 11:59 PM ET June 30, 2020 to be eligible for the 60% bonus points offer with a minimum purchase of 2,000 points.
- Purchased points do not count towards Marriott Bonvoy Elite status.
- A member may purchase or receive as a gift from another member a combined maximum of 100,000 points during the promotional period only. Points that have been already purchased or received as a gift in 2020 are included in the 100,000 points limit.
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000, with a minimum purchase of 2,000 points required.
- Points can be purchased at a rate of $12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points.
- Points purchases will be processed up to 7 business days after purchase.
- Base points purchased will be deposited into members’ accounts first. Bonus points will be deposited up to 48 hours after that initial deposit.
- You must be a member in good standing to both purchase and receive points.
- A new member may purchase points thirty (30) days after enrollment if their Marriott Bonvoy account reflects qualifying activity as described in the Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules. After ninety (90) days from enrollment, a new member is eligible to purchase points regardless of their account activity.
- Once points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.
- Purchasing points using a Marriott Bonvoy™ co-brand credit card will earn points as an everyday purchase.
- This offer is valid only for points purchased through the promotion’s Buy Points or Gift Points pages.
- All Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules apply and can be found at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms//default.mi.
Would You Buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with a 60% Bonus?
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.