Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
In my last post, I covered a slew of new offers on Delta, Hilton, and Marriott co-branded American Express cards. Most
When you launch that many offers all at once, some are bound to get lost, and most offers were only for Cardmembers as of January 1, 2021, so new applicants won’t get the deal.
One offer in particular, though, stuck out as being both useful and available to both existing and brand new Cardmemembers, meaning that you can open a card now and still get the deal.
In this article
Bonus MQMs on Amex Platinum and Reserve Cards
That offer is the MQM Status Boost. Let’s take a second look at the offer:
- Status Boost Special Offer (No enrollment required): Eligible Consumer and Business Delta SkyMiles® Platinum and Reserve American Express Card Members can reach Medallion Status faster with an increase in MQM earn at existing tiers through December 31, 2021. (Status Boost offer is available from January 1, 2021- December 31, 2021. Enrollment not required.)
- This offer is also available to new Card Members who apply and are approved for the Card through 2021. With the Status Boost special offer, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Reserve Card Members can earn 25% more Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) in 2021 than they can already earn with Status Boost for each spending threshold they meet.In 2021, Delta Reserve Card Members can earn 18,750 MQMs each time they spend $30,000 on purchases (up to 4 times) – that’s an additional 3,750 MQMs on top of the 15,000 MQMs they already earn with Status Boost in the calendar year.In 2021, Delta Platinum Card Members can earn 12,500 MQMs each time they spend $25,000 on purchases (up to 2 times) – that’s an additional 2,500 MQMs on top of the 10,000 MQMs they already earn with Status Boost in the calendar year.
The eligible cards are
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Now I want to be clear that I’m not saying this deal is “killer” but for Delta loyalists, it could be valuable.
Delta, so far, has not lowered elite status requirements for 2021. But they did extend your 2020 status through 2021 and they credited all MQMs you earned in 2020 to your account once again in 2021. So if you flew 20,000 MQMs in 2020 (certainly many could have hit that pre-pandemic), you now start 2021 with your 2020 status plus 20,000 MQMs.
A Delta Platinum Amex cardholder can then, for example, spend $50,000 on the card this year and get 25,000 bonus MQMs.
And a Delta Reserve credit card could, for example, earn up to 75,000 MQMs by spending $120,000 on their card. In fact, even if you had no status and took advantage of (and maxed out) the Reserve offer, you would wind up with Delta Platinum status through 2022. Remember that spending $25,000 on any of the above cards also waives all requirements for spending on Delta flights (excluding Diamond Medallion).
Is it worth it?
To some, it might be – but let’s be clear about the downsides.
Spending $120,000 in a year means that you could be hitting a ton of new credit card signup bonuses. As well, most spending on these cards earns 1X – 3X in Delta miles. With few exceptions, most spend on other cards would earn you a much more valuable stash of points.
But lets say that you are a business owner with $1MM plus in spend (and I’ve had several business consulting clients that fit this profile). You haven’t been flying but you expect to in a post-vaccine world.
While you won’t be maximizing every dollar of spend, this deal could work out well for you.
Stacks with Delta Amex Welcome Bonuses
Since this is available to new Cardmember as well as existing ones, you could also get a welcome bonus that includes MQMS.
Let’s summarize the bonuses:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card – Get 40,000 Bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs when you spend $2,000 within 3 months plus a $100 statement credit after one Delta purchase within 3 months.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card – Get 40,000 bonus SkyMiles and 10,000 MQMs when you spend $3,000 in your first 3 months.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card – Get 45,000 Bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs when you spend $3,000 within 3 months plus a $100 statement credit after one Delta purchase within 3 months.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card – 45,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs when you spend $4,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
There are lots of ways to qualify for status combing new card Welcome Bonuses and MQMs via spend, or just via spend if you already have the card. I’m sure you can work out the math there for your particular scenario.
If you have any questions, just let me know!
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.