Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
In this article
Delta Extends Medallion Status Levels into 2023
Delta announced today that they are extending all elite status tiers through January 2023.
They are the first carrier to go ahead and do this. Previously Delta was offering additional MQMs on all flights including award flights to help people achieve status. Clearly this was not proving to be enough to get them to the number of requalifying elites, so they have taken this step.
From the Delta News Hub:
- Medallion Status for 2021 will be automatically extended for the 2022 Medallion Year.
- All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) will roll over to 2022 to qualify for 2023 Medallion Status – for the second year in a row.
- All Members will continue to earn toward Status on Award Travel through Dec. 31, 2022 – extended an extra year.
- All Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates will be extended for travel through Jan. 31, 2023.
- Members who earn Status in 2021 will receive additional benefits, as a special thank-you for their continued flight activity: Starting Feb. 1, 2022, those who earned 2022 Status will clear for Complimentary Upgrades ahead of those at the same tier level whose Status was automatically extended, and Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members who have earned Status will be able to select Choice Benefits.
- All current Delta 360 Members will be able to enjoy their exclusive Membership in our annual, invite-only program for an additional year through Jan. 31, 2023. All Delta 360 Members will be able to select Diamond Choice Benefits.
Offers for Delta SkyMiles American Express Cardholders
Delta and Amex are also extending the following Card benefits through Jan. 31, 2023, giving customers additional time and flexibility to enjoy their flight benefits. These extensions will happen automatically over the coming weeks, with no action needed from customers.
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Members who earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit between Jan. 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to Jan. 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members with unused Companion Certificates as of July 31, 2021, or Companion Certificates issued between Aug. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to book and fly by Jan. 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members with Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes issued between Jan. 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration dates extended to Jan. 31, 2023.
Basic Economy Tickets Changeable Again – Through Dec 31, 2021
They have gone back on the change ending free changes for Basic Economy tickets. For sure, the Delta variant (what a bad name for it a far as Delta Air Lines is concerned!) is causing reduced bookings amid uncertainty. Allowing free changes on all tickets helps Delta get tickets booked, since people like to lock in low fares but do not like locking themselves in when plans may change due to the pandemic.
Here is the new policy for the remainder of 2021:
I’m most excited about the Medallion status extension and that MQMs will again all rollover to next year. That means I’ll be gold until 2023 and have quite a shot at re-qualifying again in 2022 with all that I’ll earn this year from both the MQM boosts that include award tickets and regular paid travel. That said, I have quite a bit booked in the back half of 2021 and hope that the variant doesn’t put a halt to that.
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.