Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
Delta has announced a number of positive changes today.
In this article
No More Award Redeposit Fees on Domestic Itineraries
Delta has just gone ahead and removed all fees to change or redeposit an award, even if you have no SkyMiles Medallion status, for awards on flights in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. This excludes Basic Economy awards.
Sadly, this does not apply to awards outside the United States, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, which will still come with a $150 fee once the COVID-19 waiver policy eventually sunsets (that policy currently allows for free redeposits on all awards booked until December 31st, 2020).
End of the 72 Hours Advance Cancellation Rule – On Domestic Awards
Also, on domestic awards only, and excluding Basic Economy again, you can now cancel up until the flight. Previously if you didn’t cancel by 72 hours, you’d lose your miles (although you could still get your taxes and fees back). Note that the “72 hour rule” still applies to non-domestic itineraries.
Notably, none of these changes will apply to partner flights, since there are no partners that operate wholly domestically.
- If you had a SkyClub membership as of March 1, 2020, you will have that extended (again) through June 30, 2021.
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members who selected Upgrade Certificates, Delta Sky Club Memberships, Delta Sky Club Guest Passes, or Delta Travel Vouchers or gave Medallion Status through Delta’s exclusive Choice Benefits for the 2020 Medallion Year will get to select new Choice Benefits starting on Feb. 1, 2021 (the start of the 2021 Medallion Year) or as they earn Medallion Status (like they normally would).
- The below benefits are for holders of the Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards:
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Members who earn a $100 Delta flight credit will have the expiration date for that credit extended to Dec. 31, 2021.
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum card and Delta Reserve Card Members with unused Companion Certificates will receive an additional extension to book and travel using the Companion Certificate by Dec. 31, 2021.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members with unused Delta Sky Club guest passes will have expiration dates for those passes extended to Dec. 31, 2021.
These extensions are for eligible Card Members with benefits issued Jan. 1 – Nov. 30, 2020.
Middle Seat Blocking
This is now extended through January 6, 2021
Lots of great changes and nothing is taken away. I’d love to see them extend the free redeposits to international/partner awards, but I think that’s just dreaming….
Thoughts or questions?
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.