IHG Status Match – up to Spire Elite!
IHG hasn’t had a public status match offer in a while, but I’m guessing they see some opportunity to win elites over from a certain currently overwhelmed hotel loyalty program….
I found this in my Twitter feed this morning, from an IHG sponsored tweet.
IHG Status Match
Under the terms, you’ll need to first match from a competing program, which includes all major loyalty programs like Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Choice, Wyndham and Radisson as well as smaller ones like NH Hotels and Caesars Rewards.
If you can meet the above criteria, you’ll be set until the end of 2020 with your new status. 10 nights in 90 days for top tier Spire Elite is nothing to sneeze at, though IHG’s top tier does not provide even close to the same benefits as chains like Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton provide their top tiers. Breakfast isn’t even a benefit for Spire.
That said, Spire is entitled to upgrades and 100% bonus points earnings, so it’s not too shabby.
As well, if you have any IHG Elite status, you are granted a waiver from their 12 month point expiration policy (which would then start when you lose status).
Certainly if you have used a low hotel status to match to top tier Wyndham Diamond status (you did, didn’t you?) this is another way to extend the Status Match Merry-Go-Round.
IHG Spire Elite Benefits
- 100% bonus points
- Complimentary room upgrades*
- Early check-in from 10am*
- Extended check-out until 2pm*
- Priority check-in
- Free internet**
A few notes on the IHG Status Match:
– The promotion page isn’t clear on what each status level from the other programs match to. One wouldn’t expect that they are matching Marriott Silver to Spire Elite. Please leave a comment with what your match gets you in terms of IHG status so we can get a better picture of that.
– You will have to provide proof of your status
– You must register between June 17, 2019 – June 30, 2019. You’ll have 90 days from date of registration to meet your status level. If you ar matched to Spire but only complete 5 nights, you would get matched to Gold.
– Matches are based on nights, not stays, so it should be fairly easy to find a cheap IHG property somewhere to log 10 nights in.
– Members in the United States and United Kingdom are eligible.
Ready to match? Here’s the direct link to the promotion.
It’s worth noting that you can also receive IHG’s Platinum Elite status another way – just by carrying the IHG Premier Rewards credit card.
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.