Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
Update (March 30, 2021): more people are being targeted.
Group moderator Sarah just noticed a new targeted offer in her account for 40% off goods sold and shipped by Amazon.com. The promo has a max of $40, meaning $100 in spend is your optimal strategy.
In the past, Amex has had multiple variants, so you might be offered something else, like 30% or 50%. Let me know in the comments.
Also, if you aren’t getting targeted at all, you may want to remove your Amex cards from Amazon and add them back the next day to “reset” things.
In this article
How to Register for the Deal?
The first step is to see if you are targeted.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to already have a Membership Rewards card linked to Amazon. If you haven’t yet, do so here.
What Can You Buy?
Next, be SURE the item(s) you pick are sold and shipped by Amazon.com, else it won’t work.
Third party gift cards sold by Amazon should be fine as well.
(We may earn a commission on items purchased from Amazon when you use our links. Thanks for your support if you do.)
How to Checkout
Then, at checkout, make sure your Amex card is set for the payment method. At that point it will default to using points for the whole purchase. Change that.
You want to use *one point* for one cent off. (Don’t use more as the rate they give you per point is not very good.)
If the rest was done properly, you’ll see the discount off reflected on your checkout page.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The next time you checkout, be sure you aren’t paying with all point by default as Amazon changes your default payment method.
If you get a rock, you may want to remove all of your Amex cards from your Amazon wallet and then re-add an Amex Membership Rewards earning credit card like an Amex Gold Card (our review) and then try again tomorrow.
Terms and Conditions
- The promotion code will expire concurrently. Amazon.comreserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page.) Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.