Oh, Amex. Always tweaking this card….
Today, we woke up to 5 changes to the Amex Platinum, all without any advance notice (I knew a welcome bonus offer change was coming and that’s all I knew until when you all did).
- Minimum spend for the bonus increases from $6,000 to $8,000. (The starting welcome bonus is 80,000 Membership Rewards points, although refer-a-friend and incognito/private browser/Resy offers are often higher.
- Amex now has language restricting you from getting the bonus on this Card if you have or have had this card OR have had this Card, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.
- Additional Platinum cards are now $195 each, up from $175 for up to 3 AU Plat cards yielding a $20 increase for 1 AU but a total cost of $390 for 2 and $585 for the same 3 cards vs. $175, $350, and $525 respectively.
- If you want an Authorized User card with none of the benefits, that is still available as the “Companion Platinum Card.” They will simply be able to make charges that post to your account and that’s all.
- Audible will no longer be a choice for the Entertainment credit (after October 1, 2023). The Wall Street Journal is a choice as of today.
INTERESTINGLY, the Morgan Stanley and Schwab versions still have a $6,000 min spend as of right now and do not seem to have the bonus restriction (meaning I THINK you can still get those bonuses if you have the standard Plat, but not the other way around – please correct me if I’m missing it. I also do not know if the AU fee increase applies to those as it’s not in their rates and fees page at all.
Update: The next day, the other versions all caught up.
If this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.Rates and Fees for the American Express Platinum Card