In this article
Convert Citi ThankYou Points to United Miles
It’s not going to quite get you a one to one ratio, but by doing a “double transfer” you can get your Citi ThankYou points converted to United Mileage Plus (even though they are not a Citi ThankYou partner) and only take a 20% haircut in the process, meaning that 10,000 ThankYou points will net you 8,000 United miles in the end.
For those locked out of Chase cards that have a desire to acquire United miles, this may be appealing as a backdoor way to acquire United miles.
- This is a two step process that involves transferring ThankYou points to Choice Hotels and then transferring those points to United before August 31st, while they are running a special wherein 5,000 Choice Privileges points nets you 2,000 United MileagePlus miles instead of the usual 1,000.
- To get the ratio of 8,000 United miles for 10,000 ThankYou points, you will need a Citi Premier or Citi Prestige card as they transfer 1:2 to Choice.
- If you have a Rewards+, Double Cash, or ThankYou Preferred card, you only get 1:1.5 transferring to Choice, so while you could still convert the long way to United miles, you would only get 6,000 United miles for 10,000 ThankYou points which is certainly less compelling.
It’s worth nothing that if you have a Citi Rewards+linked to your ThankYou account, you also get 10% of your points rebated up to 100,000 points redeemed per year, making this potentially even sweeter.
- Login to your account at ThankYou.com
- Transfer your ThankYou points to Choice Privileges.
- Once the points show up in your Choice account, transfer them to United Mileage Plus. You’ll click on the redeem tab and then navigate to where you need to link your Choice and United accounts.
- Complete that last step by August 31st, 2022
Would you use this backdoor transfer method to get your Citi ThankYou points into United Mileage Plus?
Let me know below in the comments, on Twitter, or in the private MilesTalk Facebook group.
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.
Even better … transfer from Citi Premier after you’ve linked your ThankYou Points account with both the Premier and the Rewards+, and you get 8,000 UA miles for only 9,000 TYP!
Definitely! Just with the caveat that it maxes out at 100k transferred per year 😉