Advertising Disclosure: Links and credit card offers on this page may earn us a small commission. They never influence what we cover but they do keep the lights on. Learn More
The United Gateway Card replaces the old TravelBank card as the no-annual fee United credit card.
In this article
United Gateway Card Bonus Offer:
20,000 bonus MileagePlus miles after spending $1,000 in your first 3 months
How the United Gateway Card earns:
- 2 miles per dollar on United Airlines purchases and earn 25% back on United inflight purchases
- 2 miles per dollar at gas stations and on local transit and commuting charges
- Earn 3 miles per $1 spent at grocery stores, on up to $1,500 per month through 9/30/2021
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Other Card Benefits:
- No foreign transaction fees (a nice benefit on a no annual fee card)
How to Apply
You can see how to apply here.
I really think this is a better downgrade option than a new card option. You can do better in every bonus category. The Chase Freedom Flex, for example, would give you 5X Ultimate Rewards on groceries for one year – and those could be converted to United miles 1:1 as long as you have a Sapphire Reserve or Sapphire Preferred (or Ink Preferred) as well.
Still, there may be an edge case where this card makes sense – like if you are starving for a United bonus offer and have all of the other available Chase cards.
And if this post helped you, please consider sharing it!
You can find credit cards that best match your spending habits and bonus categories at Your Best Credit Cards.
New to all of this? My “introduction to miles and points” book, MilesTalk: Live Your Wildest Travel Dreams Using Miles and Points is available on Amazon and at major booksellers.